Monday, November 20, 2006

1984 Trans Am, Overheating Problem.

Got more problems :(.
Over the last weekend the temp got a little warm and the car really didn't like it, Sat: 34'C and Sun: 33'C. The car got to 260 in the red on the thermo 5 times, A 10 min drive and it was on the red as I pulled in to the driveway.
So last night I started to rip stuff off the front end to try find a way to get better air flow through the radiator. I took the front number plate off, removed the front grills and gutted the thermostat. I took the number plate (being the only piece of spare metal at my fiance's place) and screwed it in to the plastic thing under the radiator to direct air up. Well as for the drive on the way to work thismorning the mods must be working because the temp gauge didn't go over 160 , hopefully it will keep it cool on the 36'C drive home
(THESE MODS WORK VERY WELL!!!)
Going up hill going 100kmph in third gear on a 36'C day the car didn't go over 220, once on a flat road at 100kmph in forth gear the temp dropped to 160 to 170. Now that is a huge drop from my 260 over heating temp on a 34'C day on a flat road.
I have a sheet of 600x250x2.5mm stainles that in cutting and shaping to make a under car scoop to pull air up in to the radiator. cant wait to see how this will work over my (number plate) air deflector of 120x300.

Works Great! The car (Under load on a 34'C day) it never went over 180 and normal driving it sat on 160, IM very happy with this outcome.

No comments: